Secure network infrastructure with Cyber Security
What is Network Infrastructure Security?
Network Infrastructure Security is the process of protecting the underlying IT infrastructure by installing preventive measures to deny cyber theft, data breaching, unauthorized access, and data deletion. These security measures include access control, wireless security, firewalls, application security, VPN, behavior analytics, etc.
How does Network Infrastructure Security work?
Network Infrastructure Security lies on a holistic approach of practices to ensure that all the underlying infrastructure remains protected from malpractices. To have healthy cybersecurity is essential, the Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA) endorses various perspectives to implement to ensure network infrastructure security.
- Segment and segregate networks: Special attention should be given to the overall infrastructure layout. It can limit potential intruder attacks into other parts of the internal network.
- Limit unnecessary lateral communications: There are chances that unfiltered communication may quickly help intruders move from one computer to another. Attackers may target the network by embedding backdoors or installing applications.
- Secure access: Organizational privileges are given to certain trusted users to access the resources. Managing privileged access, implementing multi-factor authentication (MFA), managing administrative credentials, etc., can ensure safety.
- OoB management: Out-of-band network management can be used to manage network devices remotely. Separating user traffic from management traffic can strengthen network security.
- Validate hardware and software integrity: Firms should implement steps to perform integrity checks on their software and devices. This should be done regularly to prevent intrusions.
- Harden network devices: Hardening network devices are essential to enhance network infrastructure security.
Challenges of cybersecurity
The term cybersecurity applies to a variety of contexts, from business to mobile computing. Cybersecurity is made up of the following elements:
- Application security: This focuses on keeping the devices and software free of threats. Proper security should take place from the designing stage itself. It requires writing secure codes, threat modeling, designing secure app architectures, etc.
- Network security: Safeguarding hardware and software mechanisms against unauthorized access, attacks, disruptions, etc.
- Endpoint security: The steps taken to protect remote access to a company’s network
- Data security: Company and customer data should be protected both in storage and in transit.
- Operational security: Refers to the procedures that determine where and how the data may be stored and shared.
- Identity management: Data access is given to different users within the organization. Identity management includes the processes, frameworks, and activities that enable authorization and authentication to access other systems within the organization.
- Database and infrastructure security: Database and physical equipment should be protected against various threats.
- Cloud security: Most of the company data are saved in cloud-based platforms such as Google, AWS, Azure, etc., and protecting data in digital environments may face many challenges.
User education- Creating awareness in individuals regarding topics on computer security is essential. Company policies and procedures, industry practices, monitoring and reporting suspicious activities, etc., are some of the areas to be dealt with.
Benefits of Network Infrastructure Security
- Improved resource sharing: Reduce operation costs as the resources shared on the network can be utilized by multiple users without threat.
- Shared site licenses: Site licenses are cheaper than machine licenses; hence it would be more affordable.
- Easy file sharing: Users can easily and securely share files across the internal network.
Secure communications: Internal communications will be safe from external threats.
- Protected data: User data and files are secure as compared with using devices that multiple users share
- Data back-up: Back-up data is always secure and is easy to do. It helps to protect sensitive vital intellectual property from intruders.
Cybersecurity tips for a secure network infrastructure
Let’s have a look at the essential cybersecurity tips:
- Latest update – Update your software and operating system using the latest version. It can benefit you from the latest security patches.
- Anti-virus software- Use any good anti-virus software to detect and remove threats.
- Passwords Ensure your passwords are strong and not guessable by anyone, even for your close ones.
- E-mail attachments Never open email attachments from unknown senders as they may be infected with malware.
- Links Do not click on unfamiliar links and websites, as these could be infected with malicious malware
- Unsecure WiFi Avoid using unsecured Wi-Fi connections as these networks may lead to man-in-the-middle cyber attacks.
Different types of Network Infrastructure Security
It is always best to adhere to multiple approaches to widen network security.
- Application security: Preventive measures taken on hardware and software to safeguard from potential vulnerabilities
- Access control: Intercept unknown and unauthorized users and devices from accessing the network
- FirewallsProtecting the network from allowing or preventing specific traffic from entering or leaving the network
- Behavioral analytics: Tools used to detect suspicious network activities that deviate from normal activities automatically.
- Virtual Private Networks (VPN): VPN creates a secure tunnel of communication over the network.
Cybersecurity is constantly evolving
Cybersecurity has never been simple. Cyber attacks are evolving every day, and it is critical to define what constitutes effective cybersecurity properly.
Though challenging, we need to protect our infrastructure and sensitive data from intruders at any cost. So stay alert, implement a sound cybersecurity system and respond to every minute suspicious situations.